After a few months of only eating the whole 30 compliant bacon (Pederson’s brand) as my main source of protein for breakfast, I became very bored with bacon. I then decided that I was going to make my own whole 30 compliant breakfast sausage with pork. This lead to my discovery that blackberries combined with pork or beef, is delicious!
Blackberries bring lots of fiber to this dish. One cup of blackberries has about 8 grams of dietary fiber, which helps you stay fuller, longer! Not only do they bring some fiber to the table, but they also bring a powerful punch to these sausage patties!
I really enjoy making this dish, because people are usually intrigued by the combination and then pleasantly surprised by how much they love it. What also makes this dish fun to make, is the 5 minute prep-time and 10 minute cook time!! I highly recommend making these on your next ‘meal-prep’ day and store them in the fridge or freezer! (Serves about 8)
- 1 lb. of ground pork
- 1/2 tsp. of ground dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. of red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tsp. of salt
- black pepper for taste
- 1/2 cup of halved blackberries, fresh or frozen
- Coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the blackberries and coconut oil.
- Then, combine the halved/chopped blackberries to the bowl and gently folding over the meat mixture over the blackberries. Be careful when mixing the blackberries so you do not crush them.
- Gently grab a small handful of the mixture and shape them into small sausage patties. I wouldn’t form them where they are very thick.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add coconut oil once heated and place the sausage patties into the oil.
- Allow the patties to cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are browned.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately, or store for quick breakfast protein the rest of the week!