So, every month my office has a luncheon for birthday’s and today’s theme was something ‘green’, because of St. Patrick’s Day! I was super excited, because this meant I had a reason to bring guacamole and my faaaavvoooooooorite, plantain chips!
Yes, I am making this at my desk. I pre-cut all of the ingredients, except for the avocadoes, the night before and then bought all the essentials to work. I waited to cut the avocadoes until I was ready to serve, to keep the guacamole fresh, but the lime juice that you add does an okay job at keeping the avocado from oxidizing. I also made my plantain chips at home and sealed them in an air tight zip lock back to preserve the freshness. If you can, make these the morning of. They are really fast and effortless to make.
To get the recipe/instructions on making the plantain chips refer to my Pork Jicama Tacos and Plantain Tostones in my blog. (You could even make these and make the guacamole as an appetizer…. yum!)
My mouth is already watering so let’s get to it!
- 5 large avocados or 6 small ones
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 firm tomato, finely diced
- 1 small lime
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the avocados long ways and using a large chef knife, stab the seed twisting till it loosens up and can be removed. Slice the avocados long ways with in the skin and using a spoon, scoop the meat out into a bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocados together. It’s okay for it to be a little chunky!
- Stir in the other ingredients and squeeze the juice of half of a lime in it. Depending on your taste, you can add the other half.
- Serve right away with some fresh Plantain chips or store in an air tight container!